Monday, June 17, 2019

The story of my favourite photograph

"Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still" 
Dorothea Lange, American documentary photographer

I have warm memories of public squares, urban parks and other areas of recreation where people gathered to listen to a band of musicians, children played tag, serious men read newspapers, young people met and flirted, dogs ran after running kids holding colorful ballons, ...  

"Magician"
As a child, I looked with admiration at the smiling man who worked miracles using a "magical" device that called the attention of the people around; I was intrigued to know how this apparently ordinary man was able to take images of kids, couples in love, tourists, families. This "magician" used a big camera on a tripod and, after a short ceremony to arrange people in the "adequate" position, he pressed a mysterious button while a big flash emitted light on the subjects, causing surprise in the spectators. Then, he introduced his hand into the camera cloth hood, moved his hand within the camera and extracted the precious material: a black-and-white image on paper. 


Technological advance has led those photographers to almost extinction... photographic cameras have become smaller, cheaper and within the reach of everyone... But the transition to modern digital cameras was not easy at all...   

Non-professional, economic old cameras needed an external flash that was inserted into the camera: this "magic cube" had four bulbs that permitted to have light for four photographs; thus, if you were in an important ceremony, you needed 9 magic flashes to have light for 36 photographs... and you also needed to buy a roll film for 36 photographs and insert it in the camera. Later, the roll films had to be taken to places where the photographs would be developed.  

SRL camera (TTL=Through The Lens)
In time, Single-Reflex Lens (SRL) cameras became cheaper... this led me to reading on photography and, as young adult, I learned, in a workshop, how to take and develop photographs in a laboratory. In short, you first removed the roll film from the camera in a dark room and treated it with chemicals; then, you let a beam of light pass through each frame of the photographic film for a few seconds: the light would leave an "invisible" image on a sensitive photographic paper; then, you placed this paper into a developer fluid until an image--the photograph--were visible to your eyes; next, you removed the photograph from the fluid and immersed it into another fluid to fix the image on paper; finally, you removed the photograph, washed it  and allowed it to dry... the magic was there: a beautiful photograph of your own.


My curious friend...
Many years ago, I was trying to capture a still life early in the morning, when a wandering dog came to me, with a curious look, trying to understand the magic of the camera I held in my hands...I took some pictures while it stared at me... waiting for the magic to come, but magic did not come; I felt its disappointment when it turned and went away.  I never saw it again; however, it is present in my album of photos where the magic of its look prevails...

Nowadays, digital cameras allow to have hundreds of photographs, have automatic built-in flash , no paper nor roll film is required; yet, some people say they are in danger of disappearing with the appearance of smartphones and other devices of common use. 

While technology advances, I can imagine the wandering dog saying "it's my image in your mind that matters... the rest is just technology..."   

Now it´s your turn:

Write about a photograph you like and say
Who took it
What it shows
When it was taken
Why you like it
Upload it too
Include any other information you'd like to mention.
Minimum number of words: 150

17 comments:

  1. what a cute dog,thats right the technology keep moving forward to the future,probably cameras will disappear so would be a great idea save one haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Omar,
      That's why I keep one...Nostalgia
      See you,

      Delete
  2. I remember when I was little and took a lot of bad photos of everything HAHA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maribel,
      What about now... have your photographs improved...? I hope so.
      See you,

      Delete
  3. that entertaining should be the whole process between taking the photograph to be able to have it printed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,
      That's right... Even today, there are workshops to learn how to take and develop photographs...
      See you,

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid, I always asked me how of a little roll is could reveal many images

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruno,
      Now you a glimpse of the process...
      See you,

      Delete
  5. I prefer the camera with roll film because the photographs developed were cheaper than current photographs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juan,
      And photographs from film rolls are better than digital ones.
      See you,

      Delete
  6. I remember when I was child, I plaid with a camera like that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents always told me how they took pictures in antiquity and that it was unusual to find them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherynne,
      There still are photography studios where professional photographies are taken and developed to display it on portraits celebrating special ocassions.
      See you,

      Delete
  8. Despite the poor quality of the old photos I like very much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martina,
      Old days in old photographs... nostalgia...
      See you,

      Delete
  9. I totally agree, but I think that technology will never be able to capture what our eyes see, photography for me, the memory of moments that can not be photographed, but I can remember a journey of a photograph!

    ReplyDelete