Thursday, June 6, 2019

My favourite book OR film

"Books and movies are like apples and oranges. They both are fruit, 
but taste completely different." - Stephen King

Books are a pleasure that good readers enjoy. They lead you through mysteries, such as Agatha Christie's detective stories or Dan Brown's plots, to scientific, philosophical, historical, romantic issues in an endless number of genres written both in formal and informal language, fiction and non-fiction. 

When I was about ten, my father gave me a book to read it carefully, as it contained "messages that I would cherish all my life long". He was not fond of reading, but that book had meant a lot to him and wanted to transfer his feelings to me.

I enjoyed reading it! The book written by Edmondo de Amicis, “Cuore”, the Italian term for "Heart", tells us about  Enrico—the main character—who is a nine-year-old boy, who writes about his life at school, his friends and not so much friends, their families, his teachers ... The novel covers one year of Enrico´s life at school narrated in the form of a diary; each classmate´s life develops and grows in your mind and you end up by feeling love and understanding for them. As Enrico’s classmates, you also waited eagerly for reading the story of the month; these remarkable “monthly stories” were short stories full of sensitivity, braveness, endurance, warmth and genuine love—one of such stories was “From the Apennines to the Andes”….

As a teenager, I developed a liking for watching films in those attractive buildings with a superb architecture, similar to opera houses, where you could enjoy watching both the surroundings and the films and everyone would be quiet and respectful... no popcorn existed… Technicolor and Cinerama brought elegance and modernity, and super-productions became common. Ben-Hur, The Sound of Music, Star Wars and E.T The extraterrestrial were invested with the stateliness of the theatres.

Elegance of  the Grand Rex movie theater in Paris
Although technological advances have made possible to give life on screen to Tolkien's fantastic world, The Lord of the Rings; and Crichton's Jurassic Park;  I'd have liked to have watched them in the magnificent buildings of the past century without the sound of popcorn around me.

I enjoy watching films, so naming my favourite one is hard to anyone, especially me. Big Fish, As Good as it gets, The lord of the rings, Sense and Sensibility, Skyfall, La la Land, Rainman, The Cyder House Rules, Faceoff, Dead Poet's Society ... are just a few of films that come to my mind...

Yet, there is a film that I think everyone should watch to live and learn. We often hear that books are far better than films. A long time ago a watched a film named "The Shawshank Redemption", a beautiful story of a man accused of murdering his wife and how he faced his life in prison; it has an extraordinary ending. Great casting, well-structured film.

I looked for the book and I realized that it was a rather short  (about 50 pages long) story written by Stephen King. The author and the director of the film worked together; the film was nominated to several Oscar awards, but won none. To the critics' surprise, the video was a complete success and today is considered a real masterpiece...! And I must say that the film was to me better than the novel; the music, the location, the casting and the direction contributed to the enrichment of a solid story.

Now, it is your turn

Tell me what your favourite film OR book is
What makes it attractive
When  you read/watched it
Why you recommend it
Minumum length : 150 words.
Remember to make comments on 3 of your classmates' posts and also the teacher's 

18 comments:

  1. Dead Poet's Society is a film very interesting and with good plot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martina,
      I quite agree with you... The smile of Mona Lisa was also a film in the same line, but weaker as a film.
      See you,

      Delete
  2. Watch a movie without popcorn would be hard to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eduardo,
      New times new challenges... to me popcorn is annoying...
      See you,

      Delete
  3. For me, Dead Poet´s Society is the best movie of robin williams.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Javier,
      Quite probable; he had a wide number of good films, though.
      See you,

      Delete
  4. OMG!!!, Stephen King is my favourite author, my favourite book is Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherynne,
      He is a resourceful writer... He has written such different books...
      See you,

      Delete
  5. once I went to the old cinema is really magical

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,
      The grandeur of them is amazing. Which one was it?
      See you,

      Delete
  6. I would like read some book of Agatha Crhistie, I love the detective's stories!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruno,
      She was a smart, witty writer.... I also love her detective stories...
      See you,

      Delete
  7. I would liked to have seen a movie in the Rex cinema

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicente,
      The REX and the Gran Palace were the best cinemas to me...
      See you

      Delete
  8. Tolkien was such a master! I remember when I watched LOTR for the first time and tried to learn Quenya haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maribel,
      Did you read the trilogy? They are a challenge even for good readers....
      See you,

      Delete
  9. i really liked shawshanks redemption, it´s a great film

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Omar,
      Nice to know you saw the film... a real masterpiece in its gender.
      See you,

      Delete