Thursday, July 18, 2019

a) Our Amazing Human Body: Our Smart Brain et al.... OR b) Mental disease or disorder

"Everyone walks by him, moving randomly and watching nowhere...images like thieves moving in his mind come and go...perhaps illusions that will fade away any minute..."

In times of loneliness, our imagination is a faithful company. We create our own friends who will be what we want them to be: someone to talk to, to love, to care, to hate, to dismiss, to feel pity on, to play with...

Our smart brain provides input to satisfy our needs. This situation lasts for some time until someone from the actual world talks to you and you realize your own existence and importance. A smiling face in front of you can take you away from your abstract world and be a good company for a while. But, if you are not in the mood,  you shortly afterwards look through that face and immerse again in your own imaginary world. The smiling face says goodbye and fades away, while you only want to dream away...

Today is an awesome day. Early this morning I realized that the sun shines over me, the sky is bluer, the grass is greener, birds fly and sing, the weather is warmer, people walk and greet me. I smile back and say nice words to everyone along the street. I am in the mood for smiling, talking, touching, watching, feeling. I call a friend to have lunch with... It seems that my brain has shifted from the inner, private space to the outer, commonplace; perhaps it needs input to enrich its library with information from the outside world.

At noon, I enjoy my lunch, sometimes a brunch, in a cosy cafeteria; a good-looking girl waits on me and brings a dish that seems to be better than earlier ones. By the time I get home, I recall the activities done with a feeling of being in command, in closer contact with the real world.

But I wonder if I was in command of my decisions. Scientists have observed that mental processes occurring in our brain are faster than our (sometimes crucial) thoughts or decisions, e.g., when crossing a street, you jump away from a high-speed car before you realize that you are in danger of being hit by the car, even before thinking of the danger, otherwise you might be dead.

What about lunch, sex, sleep,....? Hormones and neurotransmitter cells are in charge of stimulating us to take some actions and others to delay or stop them. Thus, when we have lunch, dopamine is produced in the brain, giving you a sense of pleasure and stimulating you to go on eating. If you have eaten too much, another kind of neurotransmitter counteracts dopamine and you stop eating.

A few neurotransmitter cells
Significant changes occur during childhood, but as teenagers, and later as adults, you feel the urge of touching, kissing, loving the opposite sex. Why? Hormones and neurotransmitters are sending messages to brain cells to trigger the sex drive that will eventually lead to reproduction, and thus preservation of the human species... and here serotonin, another neurotransmitter, keeps you pleased as oxytocin and vasopressin help in creating a stronger bond with your partner.

Adrenaline is another neurotransmitter that plays an important role in our lives. Just an example: if you have been severely injured, this neurotransmitter gives you enough strength to withstand acute pain until help comes and/or pain subsides...

So, if my brain et al. are in charge of most of the living processes, what decisions can I make?

I want to believe that I make the most important decisions in life, such as the kind of person I want to be, the girl I marry, the healthy dish I should have for lunch, the kind of book I want to read, the places I want to visit, the exercises I want to do to keep fit,  the number of hours I want to sleep, the career I want to study, ....These are part of my free will.

And I always will be grateful to the mental processes occurring in the 1.4 kg brain encased in the skull of my head, which is the major organ of the central nervous system and controls most processes and permits that I enjoy living.

Help our faithful brain et al., by having a healthy diet and doing exercises, preventing stroke and other undesirable illnesses.


Now it's your turn:

A) Our Amazing Human body
What organ(s)/system(s)/substance(s) /sense(s) of the human body is (are) amazing to you. Why.
What role it plays
Where it is located.
What size it has.
What illnesses can alter its/their normal functioning.
How you can help to keep it healthy.

OR

B) Mental Diseases or Disorders
What it consists of.
What triggers the disease or disorder.
Why you chose it.
Where (countries, continents, places) it is commoner.
Who suffer from it mostly (males/females)
How the disease affects the functioning of other organs of the human body.
Add any additional information required to make more attractive your post


Total Wordcount: 190 words minimum.
Remember to write comments on 3 classmates' posts and on the teacher´s post.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hi Eduardo,
      I agree with you; the immune system is also wonderful to me...
      See you,

      Delete
  2. The human body is amazing and complex, it always surprises us...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherynne,
      I agree with you.... most organs are still under study...
      See you,

      Delete
  3. The brain I think is the most difficult to understand and the most interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, Martina. The brain is such a complex organ that still is under investigation ...
      See you,

      Delete
  4. it is incredible the whole procedure that the brain does for things that are common in our day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bruno,
      Some daily chores are not so fascinating to us....Don't you think so?
      See you,

      Delete
  5. I think that the brain it's the most amazing organ in the body

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicente,
      I agree with you; yet, it needs the other organs to justify its existence.
      See you,

      Delete
  6. It is very interesting to understand how the brain works

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,
      Sometimes we forget its importance in our daily lives...
      See you,

      Delete
  7. I found interesting the part about neurotransmitters, but I kept thinking about the heteronormativity in the description because i don't think that's for reproduction purpose only.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fernanda,
      Neurotransmitters certainly play many roles in our lives...not only reproduction....
      See you,

      Delete
  8. many things are missing to understand the brain, the problem is its difficult access, pharmacologically speaking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juan,
      MRI and many other medical devices are useful tools to understand how it works; yet, much information is still missing.
      See you,

      Delete
  9. is incredible the way that human body works, everything looks so calculated

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maribel,
      Right you are... everything seems to be so simple...
      See you,

      Delete