Thursday, May 23, 2019

Why did you choose your career?

"To be or not to be,  that is the question"  William Shakespeare

Big decisions usually find yourself at a crossroads; especially when you are a teenager and your future professional life depends on your wise determination today. This is when you realize that you are a young adult with a huge responsibility...your future. But did it happen that you didn´t know what to study when you finished high school?

When I was at primary school, I thought of becoming a doctor, an architect, an engineer and also … a cartoonist (an artist in drawing cartoons). Cartoon magazines—Disneyland, Condorito, Mickey mouse—were quite common for everyone…


During high school, I developed a liking for languages, mainly English, and science, particularly through the subjects of Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Computers did not exist and Internet existed only in my dreams; but, I have dear memories of my  teacher of biology who was then the Wikipedia/Internet application that opened my mind to biology, pushing me to uncover the mysteries of life; I also have wonderful memories of the chemistry lab sessions and I still have an excellent book of physics with plenty of information to fill my need of learning.

What would I study when I finished high school? Well, I must say that the possibilities were not many. Why? Simple, money. Although you could start almost any career, some of them were, and still are, quite expensive. Medicine, engineering and architecture demanded expensive materials that my family could not afford. So, as English was—and still is—important, I decided to learn English following the teaching profession.

I became a teacher of social English and had the opportunity and luck of having training in scientific English  as part of my studies at the university. This training in scientific English brought me to the Fac. of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences; has allowed me to work in various fields at different places (Economics, Nutrition, Medical Technology, Civil Engineering ...); has permitted me to be the editor of a Scientific English Newsletter; and also be visiting Professor in academic activities.

My liking of English, teaching, and science is evidenced through the design and creation of a website with Scientific English exercises.  So, as you may see, English and Science have united in the end. 


&&&&&

It´s your turn now; tell me about:

- your dream jobs when you were a child
- other career options that you had at the moment of applying to university
- what made you decide in the end
- your experience at university until now
- the kind of job you would like to have
 
Minimum number of words :130 
Remember to make a comment on your teacher's post and comments on three classmates' posts.

18 comments:

  1. It's admirable how you could mix your two passions, I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicente,
      When you are at a crossroads, you have to take the most suitable road and make your best. Thank you.
      See you,

      Delete
  2. I wonder what your drawing style would be like if you were a cartoonist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. unfortunately the money gets in the way sometimes, but I'm glad you have reached your goals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Juan,
      We should always try to do our best to find happiness at work and at home.
      See you,

      Delete
  4. I'm glad that you chose teaching, you're good at it, and also, it makes you happy. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Fernanda,
      Nice to know that you think so. Thank you.
      See you,

      Delete
  5. it's good that his teachers encouraged his curiosity about science

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tamara,
      Science and technology is in our lives everyday...If we look closer, we find it and enrich our lives with it.
      See you,

      Delete
  6. In the classes you can see that he is very happy with his choice, shows the passion and dedication he has for his work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      Nice to know that you think so... I hope not to let you down in the future.
      See you,

      Delete
  7. im really surprised about all the choice you considered to your future,im happy to know that above all you are making what you like,greetings teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Omar,
      We all have to make hard decisions during our lives... I hope you choose well.
      See you,

      Delete
  8. I would love to see some drawing of yours

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martina,
      I'm not drawing any more, yet I have good memories of those I did long ago. Maybe in the future...
      See you,

      Delete
  9. Aw, I also wanted to be a cartoonist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maribel,
      Have you kept some of your creations? They will be good memories in the future.
      See you,

      Delete